ATLAS is a particle physics experiment taking place at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, that searches for new particles and processes using head-on collisions of protons of extraordinary high energy. Petabytes of data were recorded, processed and analyzed during the first three years of data taking, leading to up to 300 publications covering all the aspects of the Standard Model of particle physics, including the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012.
Large scale simulation campaigns are a key ingredient for physicists, who permanently compare their data with both "known" physics and "new" phenomena predicted by alternative models of the universe, particles and interactions. This simulation runs on the WLCG Computing Grid and at any one point there are around 150,000 tasks running. You can help us run even more simulation by using your computer's idle time to run these same tasks.
On this page you can see ATLAS monitoring of the tasks running on ATLAS@Home, as well as how ATLAS@Home ("BOINC") compares to the other sites on the WLCG.
The program you will download runs simulation software inside a virtual machine hosted by your computer. The virtual machine image is ~500MB but is only downloaded once. Each workunit downloads a small set of input data and runs for approx 1 to 2 hours depending on the computer's processor speed.
Please consult or post to the message boards to learn more about the work currently available or in case of problems.
The Physics of ATLAS@Home
No knowledge of particle physics is required, but for those interested in the physics processes simulated in ATLAS@Home as well as the ATLAS experiment itself visit our public page.
ATLAS@Home tasks progress, for each task (number of jobs done/total number of jobs):
- Task mc15_13TeV 100_165.simul (7673826): 0/80000
- Task mc15_13TeV 100_165.simul (7492384): 61589/80000
- Task mc15_13TeV 100_165.simul (7417172): 79824/80000
- Task mc15_13TeV 100_165.simul (7363729): 79842/80000
- Task mc15_13TeV 100_165.simul (7307136): 79849/80000
- Task mc15_13TeV QCUT5_CFilterBVeto.simul (7078879): 79815/80000
- Read our rules and policies
- This project uses BOINC. If you're already running BOINC, select Add Project. If not, download BOINC.
- This project also requires
VirtualBox to be installed.
- Windows: VirtualBox is included in Windows distributions of Boinc and so does not have to be installed separately.
- Mac and Linux: VirtualBox must be installed separately
- In case of problems using the latest version of VirtualBox try using version 4.2.16.
- After choosing Add Project in Boinc Manager, choose ATLAS@home from the list of projects
- Then either enter details for to set up a new account, or if you have previously registered enter the existing account details.
- A reasonably powerful modern 64-bit computer with at least 4GB of memory is required to run ATLAS@Home. Enabling 64-bit virtualisation may require some changes in BIOS settings.
- In Boinc Manger set the % of processors used to be at most 50%, otherwise your computer may run out of memory.
- The work units may use a lot of network bandwidth, so a slow internet connection may reduce work unit efficiency
- The work units contact servers at CERN and outside CERN. If you are behind a firewall you will need to open access to these servers. Please contact us for details.
- If you're running a command-line version of BOINC, create an account first.
- If you have any problems, get help here.
User of the day
A computer engineer from China!
there will be a short intervention of ATLAS@Home this morning, of about 1 hour, due to the upgrade of the shared filesystem.
Andrej 9 Feb 2016, 7:57:25 UTC · Comment
New application version - 1.46
This new application version is the same as 1.44.
We had an issue with the latest task (some jobs were failing), that was the reason of version 1.45 (with more VM memory).
In version 1.45 the image memory was increased, yesterday we found the real reason of the failing jobs.
We reverse the version since there was no need to have more memory and larger image.
Efrat 6 Feb 2016, 8:11:31 UTC · Comment
New application version - 1.45
The new version will be available soon.
In this version:
---> Updated job XML.
---> Image with slightly more memory.
Efrat 28 Jan 2016, 8:41:26 UTC · Comment
You may notice a slight change to our logo on the ATLAS@Home pages. This new version was created by Chilean, and is a welcome improvement on the previous version. Thanks very much Chilean! 21 Jan 2016, 13:17:18 UTC · Comment
New record! more than 10.000 concurrently running WUs
Today ATLAS@home reached a new record of 10.000 running WUs!!!!
Please have a look at the announcement on the public site : http://atlasphysathome.web.cern.ch/content/atlashome-project-news
A big THANK YOU to all the volunteers participating to the ATLAS simulation effort! 12 Jan 2016, 21:10:43 UTC · Comment
News is available as an RSS feed